Alright all you cupcake lovers out there….All who watch cupcake wars and think I could do that! Easier said than done right. I decided to make this delicious looking cupcake for my church’s bake sale and how can you go wrong with a cupcake that gives a nod to cinnamon toast crunch cereal. It is delightfully moist, not overly sweet, cinnamon goodness. I love cinnamon squares! It is probably the only kid cereal I like besides Koala Crunch a take on chocolate rice krispie cereal but organic. Still not good for you though so don’t let organic fool you it still empty calories.
I of course got the recipe off Pinterest from Your Cup of Cake Blog. All I have to say is good job and its a keeper. Her recipe is below or you can click on the blog link for a printable version.
1/3 cup oil
¾ cup milk + 1 tablespoon white vinegar (let sit for 5 minutes) or 3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup sour cream
Vanilla Cake Mix (not white cake mix)
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
Cinnamon Toast Crunch Buttercream:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup Cinnamon Toast Crunch powder
(Put in food processor and grind and then sift out 2/3 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with 20-22 cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, gently combine eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla.
3. Mix in sour cream.
4. Add cake mix and cinnamon and mix until smooth.
5. Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Buttercream: Beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add Cinnamon Toast Crunch powder. Add vanilla and powdered sugar. Adjust the consistency using milk if it is too thick.
7. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with cinnamon sugar and Cinnamon Toast Crunch squares.
Here’s a picture of how mine turned out minus the cinnamon sugar mixture.
It even looks good with a bite taken out of it!